Sunday, May 11, 2008

Our baby Bear

Bear is our German Shepherd whom we have had since he was 6 weeks old. I felt the need to post about him because he is so important to our family. When I was pregnant, I was told I would have to get rid of him because he was such a big dog. I was very upset to hear people's reactions about having a baby with a 100Lb German Shepherd but I, myself, had similar fears about the dog and a new baby. After much discussion and a dog training class, we decided that we would keep Bear and see how things went. This was a big decision for us, because we played several scenarios out in our minds. Of course Andrew's safety was of first concern. When we brought Andrew home, he ran up to him and licked his face. I can remember screaming at the dog and telling him to get away. It was at that moment that what we knew about Bear was true. Although he is a big dog, he is kind, lovable and very gentle.

You wouldn't believe the friendship between Bear and Andrew if you didn't see if for yourself . Bear sits by Andrew's door and waits for him to wake up in the morning. Then they usually chase eachother around the house. It really is a sight! When Andrew was sick this past month, Bear was very frazzled because Andrew was not his usual self. Andrew was spending a lot of time sleeping on the couch. Bear would walk up to him and lick his face. When we were in bed with Andrew, Bear jumped up and laid next to him and put his paw around him. We treasure these moments with our dog and love him dearly.

No comments: